Monday, November 26, 2012

Alexandra and Assessment and Science


As I was reading Chapter 4, Inquiry and Assessment I found some useful information on how to assess students informally as well as formally. One form of assessment I really want to consider is interviewing students.   I believe that this approach to assessment can really give you an insight as to how well your students are grasping what you are teaching. I also liked the suggestions that were made as to how one should approach students when interviewing them, such as sitting on the floor, talking in a cheerful tone, and only intervening to guide students to the next question. I thought this approach to assessment and interviewing would be especially helpful for younger students since it is harder for them to write what they're thinking.  It is easier for younger students to actually tell you what they are thinking.  I have never seen this method used  in the classroom, but I have seen the  teacher that I am observing ask questions like,  "What did you like about this lesson? What could we do next time to make it better?" at the end of some lessons.   She asks these questions in order  to get students input. I think this is a great way to get students involved especially with subjects in which they may have little interest.  

 
        Have you seen any assessment interviewing being done in the classroom in which you are observing?    Would you use this method in your classroom? What are some other assessment strategies that were mentioned in Chapter 4 that you felt were worth considering

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with Alexandra. I believe that assessing our students is very important.By interviewing them, we get a chance to hear their feedback and to see what stuck with them. This could change our plans for the next lesson to make it more fun or to help the students remember the material easier. I also agree that it is important to talk to our students in a correct manner. By sitting on the carpet with them and talking in a cheerful tone, we are not discouraging them and they are more likely to provide their input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have not seen any assesment interviewing done in the classroom that I am in however I do agree that it is a great assessment. I feel sitting down on the floor with your students makes you less intimidating to them and can make them open up to you more freely. When you are standing over them looking down, students can feel nervous and hold back their thoughts not wanting to say the wrong thing to you, but showing them youre equal to them and keeping a friendly voice can comfort them. I would definitely use this method in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I believe interviewing is a great way to assess children. Some children can express themselves verbally better than they can on a piece of paper. They also feel more of a connection with their teacher and can open up if she sits on the floor with them and has a casual conversation. One example I have of this, and although it is not directly related to science, it shows how one on one with a student can be very successful. In the class I am currently observing there is a little boy who does not speak. Everyone knows that he can but he refuses to say anything during class. I took it upon myself to spend extra time to play with him during their free play time and I have noticed that he became much more comfortable. He even now answers my questions when I ask him something. I feel that if the teacher herself found some time to really do some one on one with him and speak to him after he does him work he will really open up and speak to her allowing her to evaluate his abilities more effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen interviewing as an assessment method within the classroom. However, after learning about it in the chapter, I feel that it is a very useful tool to use. If you were to interview a student you would be able to ask them a variety of questions which you felt important instead of preplanned questions which cannot be changed. Also the method of sitting and asking questions makes for a much more relaxed atmosphere. If I were a student I would much rather be verbally asked questions than being assessed with written questions or a test. I will most definitely use interviewing in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that informally assessing students is a great tool to help teachers with their lessons. I have seen a previous cooperating teacher asks her students what they would like to learn with a specific unit.
    It is a successful and quick way to recieve feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think students input on a lesson is extremely important as a way to assess them. In my observations my teacher does this sometimes. As a teacher it can not just be about what the teacher wants and feels. The students thoughts and feelings are just as important. If we just assess students with exams how will we know what they really learn or feel. They could simply just memorize the knowledge and five seconds later forget it. Getting them to talk about it and give input will also help the teacher in future planning. Students become more comfortable as well using this process. If they feel they can open up and discuss their thoughts this will help them later in life, as well.

    ReplyDelete