Friday, November 9, 2012

Monica and the inquiry method of teaching


             The reading for this week was about students learning science through inquiry. This means that the students initiate the unit of study and want to learn because of their own questions or because of their own frustrations. I agree with this way of teaching and learning because then the students are more inclined to pay attention and really learn science concepts.    For example, if you show the students a science experiment in which you ask them to drop an egg wrapped in different materials and then give them the challenge of it not breaking it, they will do their best to protect their egg. They will want to try different materials in order to protect that egg and will,  hopefully,   ask why certain containers or certain materials won't work. This approach will allow students to be the instigators of the lesson. They will  then be required to explain the different materials they chose and why they chose them. If their egg breaks, they will have to explore why that happened and how they could change it to better protect the egg in the future. I think this is a very good lesson for students because they learn about many different aspects of science such as inertia, motion, and gravity. Did you have any teachers who allowed you to learn in this way?    Do you agree that the inquiry method is  a good way to teach students? Do you believe that this is how they can be  hooked from the beginning?   Why do you feel that way?    How did you experience science when you were in elementary school?   Did any particular teacher spur your interest in science?   How comfortable are you with the idea of teaching science?    

 

 

 

5 comments:

  1. I do agree that inquiry is a great idea for students to learn. When they come up with questions/ideas on their own, it sparks an interest to them and they are more inclined to pay attention.

    In my field work, the special ed teacher read them a story about the thanksgiving parade. She made what is known as a KWL list. K meant "what they Know" W meant " what they Want to know" and L "what they Learned from the book"

    Some of the things they wanted to know they learned in the story. Also, they learned things that they did not know. This was a great way to assess their background knowledge and understand what kinds of questions they want answered.

    Unfortunately, there is no lesson in science that I can recall growing up. Seeing science being taught intimidates me a little. With all the materials it can look complicated and but also really fun! Im not 100% yet but someday I will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with the inquiry method because it is a more natural method to learn science lessons. However, I feel as if the lesson has to be structured properly in order for the students to ask the correct questions, and come up with the correct answers. If the lesson isn't structured properly, the students won't benefit from it. This method could be used in almost any science lesson if structured properly.
    I had a teacher in 6th grade who would start many of his science lessons with a question which the students would have a class discussion on to come up with answers. I think the method worked well, and helped the students to understand a concept using their own knowledge and knowledge gained during the class discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the inquiry method is a great way to get students involved and interested in science early on. I really like the example in Chapter 2 with Ms.W and Willie the Hamster. Ms. W found a way to incorporate inquiry and a class experiment through an everyday event that happens in their classroom, such as the missing water from the flower pot. Ms. W guided her students to think about where the water went, test their theories and then see if they were right. I remember practicing the scientific method as a kid, and then trying it out at home on different things like experiments with eggs, to see if my theories were right. I think that is what science is all about, getting the kids to not only understand it in the classroom, but want to continue experiments at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think the inquiry method is beneficial to students. People of any age always remember things better when they are learning about something they are interested in. In a kindergarten class that I observed with last semester the teacher did a unit with the students called "I Wonder." The students got to go on a nature walk and question the things around them that they could see, hear, smell, etc. The students then would do "research" in books with the help of parents that volunteered to come in. At the end students were able to draw a picture and a write a few sentences about what they learned. I hope to use the inquiry method often with my future students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this new inquiry method of teaching science is a beneficial way in teaching. Growing up science was not my strong subject. I blame a lot of that on my teachers and their lack of differentiation their teaching methods. My science teacher's were mere lecturers. I definitely feel this method will grasp the attention of the students right away and keep them interested throughout the whole lesson. They are not learning just from a book or from the lectures of their teachers. With this method students will feel engaged and enjoy themselves. Though I say science is not my strong point I feel confident that I will be able to teach it if asked to because I know what students will enjoy and understand and what they wouldn’t from my experiences as a student. I think using the new inquiry method would be a great way to spark the interest in the science field of our future students.

    ReplyDelete