Sunday, October 28, 2012

Jessica poses a question about teaching geography


 
 
This week we read Chapter 11 on geography, specifically discussing the five themes: location, place, interaction, movement, and region.  Much of the reading covered different approaches to teaching about maps to children.  It gave examples of all types of maps a teacher could incorporate and suggested some activities.  One of my favorite examples was the aerial photographs/maps along with a bird’s-eye view.  I like how in explaining what that map might look like the author suggested showing your class a picture of a bird in flight and then asking them what the bird would see from its vantage point.  This approach gets the student thinking and using their imagination.

            Currently, in the school in which I am observing,  the students have been learning about maps.  My cooperating teacher taught a neat lesson on longitude and latitude that involved a treasure hunt game on the SmartBoard.  The students loved the game and it got them using map skills while also having fun. Also, I got a chance to teach the students about map scale.  To do so I decided to create a map of their classroom.   I created the map so that that it was to scale.   It took some time to measure everything correctly and then come up with a proper key, but it was well worth it.  It worked so well because it gave the students a better understanding of map scale.  After I asked the students a question about finding the difference between two points using the scale, I could then visually show them by whipping out my measuring tape and showing them its accuracy.

            What kind of map activities have you observed being used in a classroom?  What did you like about it?  Did it work well?  What changes would you have made?  Have any of your former teachers in elementary school used creative ideas for teaching geography?  What ideas have you come up with for teaching about maps after reading Chapter 11?  What kinds of maps can you see yourself incorporating into your lessons?

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I have not observed many lessons dealing with maps. The only lesson I have seen was in their computer class. This is a second grade classroom. They were using GoogleMaps to learn about Verona. I thought this was a very cute idea because they were looking for their houses and got excited when they saw the picture of it.
    They also did a scavenger hunt using GoogleMaps which was very good because they had to find different places in their community. I would definitely use something like this in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up I never did much geography in my classes other than labeling a map using my textbook. Geography was never a big focus. Also, unfortunately, I have never observed a classroom that did a lesson on maps or using maps, I've never seen any geography at all. After reading chapter 11, one activity I loved was making a map of the community. The author describes taking children on a walk around the community, taking pictures along the way. Then in the classroom piecing the pictures together and having small groups make murals of the neighborhood. They can also make it 3D by using cardboard, blocks, and paper as a whole class to make a complete model of the area. I think this is a great introductory lesson on maps for children because it's exciting and they are learning how to make and read maps without even placing a map in front of them. I also think having children draw maps of fictional places from books is great, it allows them to get creative and draw something that interests them. In my classroom I would definitely use some ideas from this chapter, even the GoogleMaps idea that Monica had mentioned. It is important for children to know how to read maps and know where important areas, landmarks, building, etc. are located.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember longitude and latitude lessons growing up and I always enjoyed them. I think the way my teachers taught the lesson was what held my interest. However, today in my observations in classrooms, I do not see much geography or mapping at all.

    After reading chapter 11 I could definately see myself doing the map community activity in my classroom. I liked the whole idea of the students having to fit the pictures that they took together. I would also incorporate scribble maps that we recently learned how to use in class. I think students would enjoy playing around with that tool and really get into learning how to use a map. I also agree with Jennifer that it is essential that children know where certain landmarks, buildings, areas, and so forth are located. This is not just to be used for school but for their public knowledge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Throughout my education I was never taught Geography. I might have been taught United States geography once or twice, but never in depth enough to remember the information several months later. I feel as if Geography has been taken out of k-12 classrooms for the most part, and many teachers shy away from the subject all together. I was actually finally taught Geography in college, where I became astounded at how important it actually is. Believe it or not, your entire life is related to Geography, everyday culture is directly tied to Geography.
    In Chapter 11, the author had many different ideas of how to make Geography fun for students. I also liked how the author related a map to a bird's eye view, it makes the whole concept easier to grasp. I will be sure to incorporate many of his ideas into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, I have not learned or observed anything related to Geography. The only thing I remember learning on the US map is that the states Minnesota, then the ones below it leading to Louisiana, look like a person and the format of those states is something I will always remember.

    In Chapter 11, I liked reading about the five themes of a location. I think these five themes (location, place, interaction, movement, and region) would be easy to remember if an acronym was made up. ie Little puppies idolize most roosters. or other silly ways to help them remember. They would have a better understanding for geography and would be able to draw a map of their room or another place they are aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been able to observe a Social Studies lesson yet, but I really like what you did with your map lesson. It helped the kids not only get a visual of their classroom but was also a hands-on approach so the students could get a real feel for how to use a scale. I also like the idea of the treasure hunt on a map, kids love that sort of thing and don't even realize they are learning while they are having so much fun.
    Chapter 11 was very insightful on how to make Geography fun for students, and present it in many different ways. I think I would have my students make a map of the community, showing all the different landmarks and then lead a discussion on how the police, library, school, and supermarket all interact to better their community.

    ReplyDelete