Monday, October 1, 2012

Burcu has a question about a new math approach to addition and subtraction


This semester I am observing in a 3rd grade classroom and,  according to my cooperating teacher, the students in this class all know how to add and subtract.   However, in the lesson that I recently observed, my cooperating teacher was required to teach a lesson that taught the students  addition and subtraction by breaking down the numbers and assigning them to place values. This concept is said to “benefit all students at all different levels” and give them a better understanding of number values.   However, I noticed that some of the brightest students were having trouble with this concept.  

 My cooperating teacher shared with me the fact that she does not agree with this new approach to the teaching of addition and subtraction.  She feels that if the students already understand something, like addition and subtraction, why do we have to reteach it a different way if it is just going to confuse them? I was wondering how my colleagues felt about this approach to addition and subtraction.   Quite honestly, I agreed with my teacher.  In addition, I found that I was even struggling with this new method at first because of the confusing way it broke everything down.

 I was also wondering if others in this class have observed any new approaches to teaching, approaches that were not in existences when you were “sitting in those seats?”   Do you think the new approach is a good one and do you feel it benefits the students?   Or did you think that this new approach to teaching tended to confuse the students?   Thank-you for your input.    

 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with Burcu that reteaching students a different way is not necessary. However, I think that they should be taught why things are that way. For example, they should know why the place values have to line up and not just memorize it. I know many teachers I observed just have the students memorize things because thats the way they are, without fully understanding why. If they understand why, they are more likely to remember it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Burcu as well, if the concept being taught is confusing to every student then there is something wrong with the approach. I always believed that a student should use the way that they understand best in addition and subtraction that way they can move forward to more difficult topics. I am in a fourth grade class now and during math one day a student shared how her mom (also a teacher) taught her a different way to break down factors that she was wondering if she could use. Mrs. Nazarian asked her to explain the method, and found it insightful telling the student to use it if that's what she was comfortable with. After class my teacher explained to me that she wants her students to be engaged in her classroom, and to use methods that are best suited to them otherwise if you force them to do your own methods they will lose the will power to learn. I agree with her in that students should use what they are comfortable with, there is no sense in trying to confuse them on a concept that they already know and mastered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen in the 4th grade class that I'm observing in now new math methods that I never learned. The students were learning to find the difference between 2 numbers. Instantly I thought the students would just be subtracting, but they ended up solving the problem by counting up. In general, I do understand that things should be presented in different ways to reach all of the students learning needs. But I think it should be left for the teacher to decide if it is necessary for their students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen any of my cooperating teachers teach students a new way and expect them all to understand it. I do not think that a student should be taught a different way, however, I think that should be able to understand why 24 + 12 = 36.

    I remember growing up that I was just taught how to add and subtract numbers but it was never clear why I started adding and subtracting in the ones place and then the tens place. I think the place values concept should be identified and incorporated into how the students originally were solving problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Burcu, if students have already mastered a subject, it is unnecessary to teach them the same subject in a more complicated or different way. In the 5th grade classroom I am observing in, the new units of study require the teacher to teach the multiplication and division of decimals but mention nothing about whole numbers. The teacher is worried the student will be confused, mainly because for the past several years she began with whole numbers and after they had a concrete understanding she continued to decimals. I feel that because the people making the units of study aren't in the classroom they cannot possibly know the students as well as the teacher. In my opinion the teacher should be given more power on how to teach her students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my observations, I have not seen this different approach yet. However, I agree with Burcu if it is going to confuse students from what they already know I don't think its worth it. I remember growing up why 6+8=14 through pictures. That was always the easiest way for my classmates and I to understand addition and subtraction. Children need to know the basics before they get to the more complex strategies. If this begins to early in teaching all it will do is throw them off.

    ReplyDelete